Monday, September 24, 2007

Did You Know That Washington D.C. Lives In Austin?

I've had a request to post funny school stories, and boy do I have a doozy. I am not sure if this is so much funny as it is "here's your sign", but remember the "victim" I am writing about is only 8, so I guess I should be nice. =) Also, this actually happened in another 3rd grade class, not mine, but it was too funny not to share. Anyway, every week, my students answer 6-8 geography questions as part of something called "Daily Geography". They are responsible for using maps, dictionaries, glossaries, (ie whatever resources they want) to find answers to 2-3 questions a day. Everyday, we go over the answers together so they can make sure they have them right. Then, at the end of the week, they take a "test" over that week's questions. I put test in quotes because the test questions are EXACTLY the same as the practice, just in a different order, AND they are allowed to use the same resources on the test (maps, dictionaries, etc.). So, last week one of the questions was "What is the capital of Texas? Why is it an important place?" We talked about how Austin was an important place because the governor lives there, they make decisions/pass laws there, the capital building is there, etc. Another question was "What is the symbol used to show Washington D.C. on a map and what does it mean?" So, we discussed the star in the circle and how it means that Washington D.C. is our national capital. Fast forward to test day. My co-worker is grading the tests and comes down to my room to share with me a classic answer. One of her students wrote as the answer to "What is the capital of Texas? Why is it an important place?" "Austin is an important place because Washington D.C. lives there." Needless to say we got a good laugh and tried to figure out how this particular student jumbled up all that information in their head. So, next time you drive through Austin stop and pay Washington, D.C. a visit. I am sure he'd love to see you! Until next time!

2 comments:

Seba and Erin said...

That is CLASSIC...pretty funny how they can get all their info mixed up! Can't believe we have one more week before we are in Poland...miss you guys and thanks for the story!!

Erin

Anonymous said...

That's funny, Keep em coming. love,mom